Oregon DPSST Unarmed Security Certification
Are you interested in joining one of the fastest growing industries in the world? The DPSST Unarmed Security Certification course is the essential course for anyone looking to get into the private security industry. Taught by instructors with real world experience, this course will give you all the essential tools you need to start working as a security professional in Oregon. Since DPSST has allowed us to adapt this course into an online instructor-led format, you can now take it from the comfort of your own home!
Valid form of government issued photo ID
Pen or pencil
Notepad or paper
For Online Instructor-Led Courses (in addition to above):
The ability to send and receive Emails
Functional Webcam (Required for taking the test)
A computer is required to take this course (The test does not work on mobile devices)
Please see below for important course information
(Two 8-hour days, includes 1 hour lunch break each day)
Please note this class comes in several formats, please pay attention to which format you are selecting when registering.
- In Person: The class is held in person at one of our training sites (location will be stated in the selection).
- Online Instructor-Led: The class is held online via Zoom, but is taught by a live instructor. Students attend the class virtually using the Zoom platform.
This course includes all the basic elements required to become certified in the state of Oregon as an Unarmed Security Professional. The class is taught online by an Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards and Training (DPSST) certified Unarmed Instructor and consists of book learning and exercises. This course is intended for those looking to get into the private security industry as well as those who are new hires and need to receive their basic certification. Certification is good for 2 years upon application acceptance. Please bring valid form of government issued photo ID to class.
An application packet must be submitted to DPSST after conclusion of the course, the packet must include:
- PS-1 (Application for Licensure or Certification of Private Security Services Provider);
- A completed fingerprint card. A blank pre-printed FBI fingerprint card is included in the class packet. Proof of completing Fieldprint or Livescan electronic fingerprints is also acceptable.
- An email to email@example.com containing the students name, PSID number, hour length and completion date of the course, and the location (Training Solutions International, Online). (ONLINE COURSES ONLY)
- The original Form PS-6 (Affidavit of Instructor and Private Security Provider Testing Results) documenting completion of the training. (Will be mailed in by the instructor for Online courses)
- If currently employed, a completed Form PS-20 (Private Security Services Provider Temporary Work Permit).
- Nonrefundable license fee (Includes background check fee). THIS FEE IS SEPARATE FROM THE CLASS FEE AND MUST BE PAID TO DPSST DIRECTLY.
Unarmed Private security providers must be:
- At least 18 years of age; and
- Must have earned one of the following:
- A high school diploma; a General Education Development (GED) certificate; or a four-year, post-secondary degree issued by an accredited degree-granting college or university.
- Be of good moral fitness as determined by a criminal background check, department investigation or other reliable sources. A lack of good moral fitness includes, but is not limited to, mandatory and discretionary disqualifying misconduct as described in OAR 259-060-0300. Security professionals must demonstrate the Core Values of: Honesty, Good Character, Public Trust, Fair Treatment of Others, Respect for the laws of this state and nation.